Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Crawfish / Mud Bugs

Last weekend while visiting Stephen's parents, Brooklyn and I experienced fresh crawfish for the first time in our lives. The crazy thing is that they look like miniature lobsters, but then once you crack the tail part open, the small flesh that you eat is about the size of a shrimp. I couldn't believe it when Ted said he bought 15 pounds of them! Then again, most of the creature is non-edible. So I probably ate about 5 of them. Stephen, Ted, and T.J., really went to town though. The crawfish were boiled with plenty of Cajun seasoning, so they were pretty spicy. Stephen's excuse for eating about a billion of them was that, "we can't save them, so we just gotta eat 'em." Needless to say, Brooklyn took a little time "warming up" to the idea of eating these "mud bugs" that looked alive, but sat on your plate motionless.

8 comments:

Pip said...

awesome pictures babe!

Unknown said...

Oooh, what wouldn't I give for a couple pounds of spicy crawfish! Soo jealous!

kailiaelf said...

I've never had crawfish. Do they taste like lobster too?

mjtraskfam said...

Poor girl, she looks scared, what a crack up! Missing you guys, but glad to hear the latest on your blog. Love ya!!

C4 McKendrick said...

I love that last picture. Her messages on the phone are adorable. See you soon!
-Carol

I See Badgers said...

oh crawfish! I am ready to come down to D-town in a few days!

evelyn said...

Crawfish are not sea creatures. They are called mudbugs because they dig holes in your yard that make mud towers and they live there!

Desirae Badger said...

Thank you, Evelyn! I guess I mistook them for sea-creatures because they resemble small lobsters. But now that I think of it, I've seen the mud towers, so I should have remembered that! I will correct the error!