Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Brooklyn may not be trained, but...



her dolly might be.  We had another short-lived attempt at potty training.  I've heard that most kids learn much quicker after 2 1/2 yrs.  So, we're taking small steps for now.  We've had success in the mornings catching her first BM.  When I see her start to grunt or push, we make a mad dash for the potty, and usually we'll catch the last half of it, plus some pee.  She then is rewarded with her favorite snack, drinkable "Dora" yogurt.  On this particular day, we spent about an hour outside on the back patio.  I let her play with her toys, drink water, and eat watermelon.  I explained to the process and had her demonstrate it.  She seemed to understand the concept, and I even had her practice pulling down her own undies, which is difficult for her because she doesn't know how to reach around to the back to pull down, no matter how many times I remind her and show her.  Though she seemed to understand the procedure, she made 3 puddles.  Anticipating this, we were outside.  I just pointed out the puddle and said in a serious tone, "Uh-oh.  That's pee-pee.  Does (p) go on the floor?"  Brooklyn, "No." Me, "It goes in the potty.  This is where pee goes."  Then I would "quiz" her.  Does it go here? (no.)  Does it go in the potty? (yes.)  I also had her "teach" her dolly how to go.  She was a pretty good teacher/mother to her dolly, yet she's still not really got the grasp of it herself.  She also tried to feed her dolly some watermelon.  After her nap that afternoon, she continued to "mother" her baby by serving her up some more watermelon.  

6 comments:

Karina & John Calderwood said...

She looks soooo innocent in that picture! You are doing a great job!

Bryce and Amy said...

Good luck with the potty training. It stressed me out but then one day, Hunter just started doing it. I don't know what happened. Bryce says it wasn't as bad as I think it was. But then again, he left to go hunting for a week while Hunter was still in diapers and he says when he came home, Hunter was potty trained. I wish I remember it taking only a week and sounding that simple. I think my second boy will easier. Atleast I sure hope so.

kailiaelf said...

You are doing an excellent job! I have a potty for Ethan, and he will sit on it, but not without pants. He is starting to come tell us when he is wet and he tells me he has gone poo. Sometimes he has and sometimes not. But he had a hrad time with the pulling pants down too. We started having him try and take his own clothes off for bathtime, and that seemed to help. He can do his pants now by himself. They grow so fast! Now I just need to bite the bullet and try training him. Good luck!

C4 McKendrick said...

Juice,

Thanks for starting pee & poo discussion in the clean blog world we got going on here! Remember, Pull-ups are like training wheels, plus they are all-weather (you can wear them inside or outdoors). Going from diapers to real, big girl chones is like sitting down with her, explaining her how to ride a bike (or how not to fall off) and then telling her to ride the bike. I don't think anyone has learned that fast. Let her ride it with the training wheels on for a while first Biggie!

-Calvin

Tamar and Trevor said...

I have to say that I have to disagree with the all wise Calvin. I don't think pull-ups are like training wheels, I think that they are more like an excuse to still not go pee in the potty! The kid thinks that they are wearing big kid undies but they are still just wearing a different kind of diaper. They never get the feeling of being wet or uncomfortable in a pull-up. I think that you are doing a great job. Just remember that she is still little, but potty training is SOOOO worth it! Your Brookie is beautiful!

Elise said...

I love this. . . I'm getting all the tips and tricks! Nice work Drill Sergeant! She'll be potty trained in no time!