Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mixed Emotions about Montessori

I have been invited to participate in a co-op preschool group with three other ladies. I am totally jazzed about more actively educating my darling little 2 1/2 year old. But, I have to say, I'm a little hesitant about the method of choice. I've heard a little about the Montessori method, but I obviously need to read up a little bit more. The idea is that each child is to be provided with an environment for many learning opportunities, of which they will explore and learn from individually or one-on-one with an adult. My main concern is: how will one adult effectively teach a GROUP of 4 toddlers one-on-one without some serious chaos? The way the "classroom" would be set up is with four stations or areas of learning: sensorial, language, mathematics, and everyday living. There are manipulatives at each station that are really cool and are supposed to teach a concept. The only thing I'm struggling with is that there will be four 2 1/2 - 3 year olds in the same room, wanting to do what ever someone else is doing that looks fun and then they will fight over the object. The other thing that might happen is that they will methodically make a huge mess by taking things out of the bins, piece by piece, then moving on to the next "bag of goodies" at another station, causing the stressed and frustrated leader with a huge mess to clean up in the end. Because we will rotate teaching the class, there will probably be only one teacher at a time. One of the other parents will have to volunteer watching the teacher's child because everyone else (except me) has a younger child at home as well. So how do we do one-on-one with so many different things going on at once, and so much explaining to do with each activity?
I think my doubts and fears are due to my experience with traditional teaching methods. Usually the most efficient and effective method is the straight-forward direct instruction. Model, demonstration, everyone try it all together. Yes, there are times when you do lab experiments or other fun things that are self-directed. Don't get me wrong, I was all about games and fun stuff when I taught in a classroom. I did utilize several different approaches to incorporate the different learning styles of the students. But I know when you have too many different things going on at once, you lose a lot of control and only the most disciplined kids are still learning and working, while the others are off seeing what they can get away with while the teacher is distracted helping other people. Basically, I think a group of preschool age kids lack the self-discipline for self-directed learning in a group setting. I hope I am proven wrong. I love the learning activities presented in this method, but I think they would best be carried out one-on-one, and therefore it would make more sense to do it at home with your child, not in a group.
I was a graduate of Joyschool, and I have fond memories from my days of Joyschool-hood. I looked online and the method and program is still accessible and actively used by some people. However, the cost of purchasing all the materials and the online membership seems like a little much. I think I will call my former Joyschool teacher, who just finished like her 20th year teaching joyschool (literally). I'll ask if she still has any lesson plans! I really am curious - have any of you taught using the Montessori method or attended a preschool that used it? Have any of you attended or taught joyschool?

13 comments:

C4 McKendrick said...

My sisters were both Joy School grads, so I'll have to get more info for you on that later. Juice, I agree with the control element, but my question is... When parents aren't home, who's in charge? ALso, it is fun to see what background everybody comes from when it comes to teaching strats (like you mentioned direct-instruction) and what they prefer. I'm not talking about as a teacher however. I'm talking as a student. For example, you as a student probably learn (or learned) best from direct instruction (as did one of my esteemed colleagues) and has selected taht as her method of choice. I don't know about this Montessori Method but it seems to be seeded more with the current trend of student-centered learning (mixing in some mult-intel concepts) where the teacher plays the role of facilitator. We'll see... let me know... Didn't you like my first joke though? If you know the answer let me know. If not, ask Pip for some help. Maybe I should've emailed this to you... Maybe I shoudl just go now...

Laura said...

I have two kids in Montessori school, a 4th grader & and a kindergartner. Both have done extremely well. There are some other great blogs out there that deal directly w/ Montessori homeschooling. I especially like this one: http://montessorifreefall.blogspot.com/
Good luck w/ what you're doing!

Linn said...

Desirae, Of course I remember you! Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. I will definitely get to your questions--as soon as I can. Thanks for asking!

You blog is darling and it is so fun to see what you are all doing since we left. Take care, thanks again and please tell everyone hello from us!

Oh and I don't know a ton about Montessori, but we had the most successful preschool ever (in my opinion) this past year with several moms from the ward there. We focused on a certain letter and number each week and went all out on it. Sounds simple, but it honestly was amazing. It was absolutely awesome and I would do it again in a second...if I knew anyone here. :) No, we found a fabulous school for our Matt, so we are good for now. I will DEFINITELY be doing it in the future for our youngest though. Okay, enough from me. Take care!

Lovell Family said...

I studied ECE at BYU...I admit, I don't know much about Montessori, but I do remember one of my professors detesting the philosophy. I can't remember specifics, she just thought it was not developmentally appropriate. Good luck!

Lovell Family said...

that blog site your friend gave you looks like it's got lots of good ideas. I can only find positive info about montessori.

Macmoma said...

The real basics your daughter will learn best from her mother in their home.

Jana said...

Ya know Desirae, with your incredible gift for A+ mothering and Brooklyn's go-getum' spirit, I don't think you could go wrong with any approach!

Desirae Badger said...

You're right, Jana (not about the mothering part). I should at least give it a try before I form too much of an opinion. Thanks for the encouragment.

I See Badgers said...

I nannied a girl who did Montessori--it seemed to be working for her, although she was a bursting bundle of enthusiasm for learning (passion was her middle name, from learning to throwing tantrums...).

I See Badgers said...

oops, didn't realize I was posting as Eric--that comment was from cindy. Eric did not do a secret stint as a manny :o)

evelyn said...

If my sister Janet sees this post she could comment. Her boys went to Montessori schools in the Caribbean.

Indiana Fowlers said...

I did a co-op pre-school with Brinley. We split up the letters and numbers and then had the feedom to choose how we taught them. I think each mom should teach however she feels comfortable. I think a good mixture of both teaching methods would work just fine.

Karina & John Calderwood said...

A group of about 6 moms in our ward last year did joy-school, so they split the cost and then took turns teaching. It worked really well for them.