Sunday, November 27, 2011

Happy (Belated) Halloween!

We did it! We arrived at the ward Halloween Party less than an hour ONLY 30-something minutes late and all wearing coordinating costumes! Hooray! This is serious progress, people!
We will NEVER be able to outdo this guy and his SUPER-INSANELY-CREATIVE mother who begins projecting on Halloween stuff way back in oh...JULY! Awesome. SO cool.
I was pretty tickled that Stephen passed for a pretty convincing Woody (we came as close as we could to a bright yellow plaid cowboy shirt, using only the options in Stephen's closet) and the kids, well, they always steal the show. If I were really good, I'd have stuffed my hair into a brown beanie and wore a big colorful hat folded up in the front with a big plastic white daisy. Oh well.
Lucy (on the left) was the only Rapunzel I saw that night. So cute! If Brooklyn was jealous, she didn't dwell on it, but the thought of dressing Brookie up as the Tangled princess did cross my mind a time or two.
This costume gets bonus points for originality and creativity! She even passed out mini-cupcakes to the trick-or-treaters! Can you see her "baker" husband in the background? This couple and their cupcake theme was way too cute!
Here's the Jessi costume before it got returned to the store. I bought it a while back when I spotted Ian's Buzz costume. Thinking I would thank myself when it got down to the wire. But the more I looked at it, the more I really was disappointed in the quality and I got a little bit prideful (?) thinking that I could do so much better than this if I made the costume myself. I did save some money by making it, but more than that, I was more satisfied with the durability and quality of the final product. Stephen even helped me create the hat that had to be altered.
So these are pictures of the store-bought costume which did NOT get used, but was returned to the store instead. I know, I'm ridiculous.
Next should be a picture of the home-made one, but it will appear again later in the post. Sorry about that.
Candy sorting and random yummy dish of asparagus that I made. The stalks were bundled in ham (though the recipe called for prosciutto) and the ham was dabbed with a swipe or two of cream cheese mixed with parmesan cheese and chopped pine nuts. This is a new favorite of mine. Thanks Lucynthia (and Family Fun Magazine, I think...)!
Here's the Kindergarten parade at Brooklyn's school. There's Mrs. R. herself! This is where the magic begins!


Below is Brooklyn's friend Calvin in the knight suit that his mom made him.
Jessi. Either she's already too cool to wave at her mom or she didn't hear me. I'm hoping it was option "B."
Okay, so I really do need a better full-body shot of Jessi just to compare it to the picture of the store bought one.





Here's a friend of ours from another class. He's one of the kids that carpools home with us. I'm pretty sure that's Ian's little hand waving at him at the bottom of the picture.
Speaking of the devil, here he is with a few other dressed-up friends. Funny thing, on the actual day of Halloween, he preferred wearing his superman costume that I threw together in all of 15 mintues. It started with a hand-me-down superman shirt and ended with a pieced-together cape made from the scraps of a much more elaborate home-made cape that got lost/adopted by someone else (?) at girls' camp this year. I'm sorta bummed about that, can you tell? Ironically, Ian wears this other one way more than the first.
cute girls

The big gang of trick-or-treaters that my kids were a part of on Halloween night. It was quite a sight! They loved it!

2 comments:

Taber & Rebecca said...

I think your Jesse costume is WAAAAY better than the store one!

Unknown said...

cute costume^^