Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kindergarten!

Brooklyn is officially a kindergartener! I don't know who had more anxiety about this big transition, me or her? I swear I had dreams that she wore her pajamas to school, I had dreams that I was back in high school and had no clue what my class schedule was, etc. etc. I only snapped one picture of her on the first day because we were rushing around trying to get to the right place at the right time. The next picture is an "after school" picture a few days later. I just mostly loved the pink outfit with the bow. She seems like such a big girl in those denim shorts! It was really fun that my mom happily assisted in the building of Brooklyn's first back-to-school wardrobe including a cute pink backpack.
Wouldn't you know that I totally had an opinion when we got to the backpack aisle? I pulled out all the stops in trying to dissuade her from the Disney Princess backpack. With the help of my mother,we were able to entice her to select a Fancy Nancy one instead. So far, I am thanking myself for "fighting" (creatively of course) that battle. I think she may even have chosen a "one-of-a-kind." No one else that I've seen at that school has one like it. There are quite a few princess ones though. I did let her get a Tinkerbell lunchbox though. Luckily I wrote her name on all her stuff because one of the first days of school Brooklyn thought that some other girl was getting into her lunch box before realizing that she and the other girl had matching ones.
I tried to pry as much detail out of Brooklyn about the first few days after school, and the responses to my inquiries went a little like this: "We learned today that we are NOT allowed to draw stick figures in kindergarten." A day later it was, "Today we learned that when Mrs. Redmerski hears the sound of Velcro coming apart, she feels like she wants to pull her hair out." Way to go, Mrs. R! I love that you are so feeding the imaginations of these young and impressionable minds. Really though, I think she's a great teacher with just a little bitta spunk. ;) My kinda gal!

2 comments:

Taber & Rebecca said...

YAY! for the Fancy Nancy Backpack! I probably would have done the same thing. And she looks GREAT in her outfit!

Rachel said...

I can't believe it's been so long since I've checked your blog. There is way too much to read since I've been off the map lately.
I love your posts, Desirae! Mia started kindergarten too- I think she and Brooklyn would be spunky little friends for sure!
I know you're super busy if you come to Utah with family- but if you get a free minute, come visit us!!! We'll be in LA for Christmas but you guys are far away now :(
Well, it was good to catch up a little. I'll be better about keeping in contact! Take care!