Saturday, May 10, 2008

We Love Becca!

Last week we got to visit with Eric, Cindy, and Rebecca. That was wonderful! We went to Gators and Friends, we went swimming, and played some tennis, along with watching some fun movies. It was great to hang out with the trio, they all played with Brooklyn and of course, uncle Eric tickled and teased her in a way that only uncles can do.
This week Rebecca came by herself and the fun continued. First of all, Brookie loved having a roommate and a playmate. Aunties, especially before they have kids of their own, are always so attentive and playful with their little nieces and nephews. It starts to make us parents feel like boring old bumps on a log!
I really appreciated all the extra help when I was preparing meals, because that is when Rebecca would take Brookie out for a swim. I didn't realize we had a little mermaid on our hands! This girl is so into the pool scene that today she threw a fit when it was time to leave the pool. She enjoys big-time splashing, kicking her legs, dunking under the water, "floating" on her back, and even "jumping" into the pool! I'm sure if I were there, I'd be a little nervous of these things, but she loves the thrill of it all! She didn't even mind that it was c-c-c-COLD the first time we went in last week. (More swim pic's to come on future posts.)
Becca would also read her stories while the two of them shared popcorn. Especially nice was when Becca would tell me to go back to bed as she would get up with Brooklyn and turn on cartoons or entertain her for a while. It almost makes me feel guilty that we can't return these favors to her...yet!
As a treat to Stephen and I, Rebecca volunteered to babysit for our "date night," so we gladly seized the opportunity for a night on the town. Stephen scored some free tickets from his work to the Symphony Gala, a formal dinner and auction for the local symphony. It was pretty fun trying to figure out a "formal" outfits for this occasion, as I am now 12 weeks pregnant. Clothes, and boxes and hangers and toys, and food crumbs littered the house as we dashed out to our date. Even though the house looked like a tornado had hit when we left, for some strange reason, upon our return it appeared that Mary Poppins had dropped by because magically the clothes and dirty dishes had walked back to their proper places! THANK YOU AGAIN, Rebecca!
These two pic's were at Gators and friends. Rebecca is so patient and helpful with Brooklyn. I almost feel guilty letting her help so much, but then again, I didn't want to disrupt these happy bonding moments! Besides that, I think it was a healthy break for the two of us (Brooklyn and I) to have someone else helping out.
It was pretty funny because the day Becca arrived, I was telling her how frustrated I was with Brooklyn. I had just posted a blog the day before about how cute and innocent she was, but the very next day, I was so over her "adorable" antics. Of course, what happened after this conversation or "venting" session about my frustration with my "terrible" two-year-old, made me feel like a total jerk. Why? Because Brooklyn and Rebecca then proceeded to have a wonderful afternoon playtime together. As I am showering and "getting ready" for the day (extended version, including hair blow-drying, make-up, and other such rare indulgences) at about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, I hear music and dancing from the other room, along with eery, but unusually peaceful quietness. I kept thinking my little girl who is used to knowing my location every minute of the day, would wonder where I was, or at least come knocking on my bedroom door to look for me, but no, she was too busy dancing away and playing and laughing and loving life with aunt Rebecca - small dose of jealousy and guilt! I'm over it, but my mom was right, that little break was just what the two of us needed!
Here the two are posing amid their "Tato Head" session. The twist was, these past few days, I kept hearing, "Where Becca go?" from a small squeaky toddler voice each time Rebecca so much as took a bathroom break! What will we do without her?

10 comments:

mjtraskfam said...

Well little miss sneaky, sneaky . . . CONGRATS on the pregnancy!!!!! I understand & forgive for the low key spreading of the news, so your due date would be?? How exciting! Mark thinks we should be pregnant again, did I mention Troy is only 4 months :) Love you guys!!

Unknown said...

Well Desirae, you've now been initiated into the Rebecca is the supreme nephew and niece babysitter club (members of the club include Bethany, Kim, T.J., and Mark). We're looking forward to a visit from Rebecca someday :)

Jana said...

Congrats Desirae!! Man, reading your posts make me so excited to see everyone in June. I love New York (wait...isn't that a tshirt?), but it would have been cool to be in Shreveport with you party people! We love you guys!

Elise said...

I am so so so happy for you guys! Life is just so WONDERFUL yet unpredictable. I hope you are feeling well. I love your posts. Looking at pictures of Brooklyn just puts a big smile on my face--she is so cute! I'm glad you both were able to have a nice night out!

Karina & John Calderwood said...

What an awesome aunt! Congrats on the baby news...that would make your due date a Thanksgiving baby, right??? YAY!

kailiaelf said...

Congratulations on the pregnancy! That's so awesome. Glad to hear you got a mini break. Brooklyn is lucky to have such a wonderful aunt. We miss you at church!

Jess~ca said...

So how come I JUST found out I have a new niece/nephew on the way!!!!!!??

CONGRATS!!!
I love you guys!
-Jessica

Desirae Badger said...

I was trying to keep it a secret as long as possible - 9 months is so long, I figure it might seem to go by faster this way!

Kelly said...

Yeah!!! Congratulations! I am so excited for you guys! I hope you are feeling well. When are you due? Brooklyn is sure a cutey! I just love her brown curls and blue eyes!

Rosalee said...

Hey Badgers! We miss you guys a ton, but we are glad to see your blog now and then. I broke down and started one for our fam. Check out the girls' new hairdos in the first post. http://californiastarrs.blogspot.com/
Lotsa California Love, Rosalee & the rest