Monday, March 24, 2008

Cute and Tricky...

The big cheese!
Nothing like the fresh out-of-the-all-day-pony-tail hairdo! 

Caption for below, "Who, me?"
Nothing builds experience better than failed attempts, right?
My basic potty-training plan was to build-up the idea in her mind and present it as a special distinction of grown-ups that is now within her reach.  My preparation included picking up a musical potty at Walmart and acquiring way too many cute character panties including a 7-day pack of Elmos and a few adorable Dora's.  I promised that she could wear these if she uses the new potty.  I also promised to give her a cookie.  After she downed a cup of milk, juice, and water, and after keeping her little toosh on that potty for 30 - 40 minutes, I am still kicking myself for "breaking" for my own lunch.  My moment of weakness arrived when my empty stomach cried out at 2 in the afternoon.  Since breakfast at 7:30, I had gone to the gym, had a marathon shopping adventure at JoAnne's and Walmart, had lugged all my groceries and my 30-pound two-year old up the stairs, and had declared potty war for just too long now.  Only experienced trainers will know this is the dumbest thing I could have done - give up in a moment of weakness!  Next thing I know, she's heading out to the back patio.  'Fine!' I thought, ' the patio is safe and I need a break myself!'  No more than 2 minutes later, she comes in announcing "potty!" so I plopped her back on her very own "royal throne" only to see that she was pointing to the back patio showing me the wet spot.  NO!  Why was I so weak? Why did I give up only a moment too soon!  Aarg!  This is not for wimps.  I can't believe I was just duped by a two-year old!  She heard me warn her against dirtying the carpet, so she didn't do that, but aah!  I foolishly did not see that one coming.  After that, I hadn't the guts or the patience to try again.  Help!  I have been out-witted by a tw0-year-old!  My seemingly strong persistence was yet outlasted by my toddler's.  
If anyone has tried and true advice, or book recommendations, I welcome and obviously need them.  I've sort-of nixed the premise of "Potty-train your child in one day" because apparently it involves letting your child run nude all day.   This method doesn't seem effective when one needs to leave the house for any reason.   So tomorrow is library day, I'll be sure to check out some books and do some more internet research.  Beware new moms - nothing is impossible for a two-year old!

Below is just a funny picture of her.  She has always loved elevating her feet when she's relaxed, but this pose takes the cake.  Check the angle of her legs on the second shot.  I love checking in on her while she's sleeping at night.  It is then that she can do no wrong and no matter how challenging the day, suddenly she's a terrible two-year-old gone cherubim!


6 comments:

Jana said...

Man, that girl is WAY too cute for words. Desirae, you are the only mom I know who is so completely on-the-ball that you lament choosing sustenance over 'potty war.' :) As usual, I am taking notes of all your tactics! We sure love you guys!!

Rachel said...

Good luck with all that potty training. It's still a mystery to me how moms do it in less than 4 months! Maybe my girls are just stubborn or something! So you're not alone- these toddlers outsmart the best of us! She is looking more and more cute!

C4 McKendrick said...

Why did you delete my comment???
-Your Favorite Brother

Pip said...

BRING HER BUTT BACK!

Tamar and Trevor said...

The joys of potty training!!! I too thought that the running nude all day method was too much for me. For me it was all about psyching myself up for it. I pretty much cleared my schedule for as much of a week as I could and we had potty parties. My kids wear their clothes but we drink lots of juice and salty foods and we carry our little potty with us all over the house. There is lots of praise and treats for any success. It is hard to know when they are ready but if your little cutie is smart enough to go outside so she won't dirty the carpet then I would say she is probably ready. GOOD LUCK!!!

Karina & John Calderwood said...

Oh, the things I have to look forward to....